Monday, December 01, 2008

Mission Call

Sister Arica Taylor Page has been called to serve in the Utah Provo Mission. In addition to this call she will be assigned to serve in the St. George Temple Visitors' Center. She is to report on March 4th, 2009.

I did, indeed, get my mission call!!! After all of the paper work, appointments, and worries of things not getting in on time...it has come! I was on my way home from Thanksgiving Break and I kept getting asked by multiple people "when are you getting home?" I kept telling them when I estimated I'd be there. Then I got a text from my very good married friend Brielle who asked the same thing...I knew something was up. Why would she be anxious for me to get home?? My roommates I can understand why they want me home so much...it's fun when we all get back together...so I got suspicious. Emily and I pretty much guessed that my call had come. We drive up and there's a sign on the door saying "Arica...it's HERE!!" I walked in and everyone is all smiles...and yes Brielle and Jared were there waiting. I put my stuff down...my roommate gets my luggage and Emily helps....I fell disgusting. (I got sick over the break and still do not feel well...) I hadn't done my hair...I had no makeup on...I was in loungy clothes....and my teeth were dirty from sleeping. So I call my family who was asleep. 
Arin: "Hello.." 
Me: "Hey Arin...are you sleeping.."
Arin: "yeah it's like almost 10 here Arica..."
Me: "Oh well I got my mission call...."
Arin: "YOU'RE MISSION CALL...oh (speech that I am not able to comprehend.) Ashleigh wake up wake up...let me get every one." 
(She gets everyone...)
Me: "Okay we're waiting for a couple people here so I'll call back when everyone's gathered."
Arin: "HURRY!"

Emily runs home to unload her car and get her roomies. Lindley and Brad come down, we call our FHE bros who are driving home from Utah, Emily and her roomies start running to our apartment, Brielle's ready with the video camera. I brush my teeth to gain some of my dignity back. I call my family back and Emily calls her family. I open the envelope and start to read...I keep reading...and it doesn't make sense...I keep waiting to read where I'm going but it doesn't come. I READ FROM THE BOOKLET! haha I look in the envelope again and get out the paper I was really looking for...my letter from the Prophet. I read it out loud and everyone screams and hugs and is excited. I don't know if there were people who were thinking "oh UTAH..." or anything like that....but I never thought that...I thought..."this is right..." it just made sense!! I was also happy that I'll be working in a visitors' center which is something I was looking forward too. I hear the St. George visitors center is beautiful and awesome! I'm super excited and can't wait to go home and spend the holidays with my family...but then get to work and find all of the things I need! If you know me...you know I like to plan things...and this is something I'm going to enjoy planning. I know the Lord needs me here and that I'll be in the right place. I'm thankful for all of those people who have helped me get to where I am today and have never doubted me...even when I doubted myself. I love you all...thanks for the encouragement. 

Addresses and such will be given when it is closer to the time of my departure. I would greatly appreciate mail while I'm gone! Thank you! :)

3 comments:

absterradster said...

Hey my grandparents served in the ST. GEORGE visitor's center! They loved it! I'll chat with them and get some tips for you! Love you! HEY I don't know if I missed it but when do you report!?

JD said...

Congrats Arica!!! At least you won't have to worry about packing a winter coat, right? ;)

You'll do a wonderful job as a missionary my friend!

Maggie said...

I loved this blog entry. I watched the video on facebook and then read this and could picture it all over again. I will never get tired of saying...we are so proud of you and so happy for the good choices you have made in your life. Hurry home...we've got things to plan. I love you! Mom