As I drive to work each morning I tune into a morning radio show called the Ace and TJ Show. I'm not usually a fan of these types of shows because I'd rather be listening to music instead of celebrity gossip and such things. BUT they have been on the air for a long time and my sister and I have been listening to them since they started. While they do have the sleeze on the fame out there that's not the whole show. They go outside the box of celebrity "hoo ha". Filled with entertaining polls for callers to answer, charities they support or started, and original segments; I like my fifteen minutes with them in my car ride to work.
A couple of days I go tune in to hear if they are talking about anything that interests me. As I do all I hear is TJ saying, "From my understanding is that it's sacred not a secret. That's what I've hear about the Mormons." This immediately caught my attention seeing as I am one. (A Mormon that is) Apparently they had played a song concerning Mitt Romney and mentioned his "Mormon underwear" as they were describing it. They didn't say they knew what it meant or even pretend to go into that subject, it was just a lyric. They wanted to know if mormons out there were offended and told us to call.
I called within seconds of them telling us to call. My phone went from my cup holder into my hand faster than you can say "dial". I called and told them "Hi, I'm a Mormon and I wanted to talk to Ace and TJ about it." They put me on hold for 10 minutes but finally got to me. I hadn't heard the song but this is what I said: "I didn't think the song would be offensive because no one tried to say they knew what 'mormon underwear' was. We are used to having people talk about things they don't understand. I think that TJ was spot on when he said 'its a sacred, not secret'. But I wanted to clarify a little bit about why we have them. We call them garments. As with most religions we are baptized, and I think you can agree that its an outward expression of an inward commitment." (they did agree) I continue and don't let them get a word in edgewise because I knew exactly what I wanted to say, "We believe that also but we believe that there are further ordinance and promises we need to make and we make them in our temples that are world wide. When we go to the temple we receive the garments because we make promises there and they represent the promises we've made. All in all I don't think most Mormons would get offended."
They were happy with that answer and cut the line. I suppose they have to draw the line at some point as to how long you'd let the person keep going or how much time you'll spend on one subject. I was going to add that there would be some of the Mormon community that would be offended with the lyric but that is with any religion. I just learn not to take offense to things people say when they don't fully understand them. It wasn't perfect, but I felt that it was a good explanation for the time allotted and that I did my part in some way to represent the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
I wish I had more opportunity to go out into the community and just help clarify misunderstandings to those who'd like a better explanation. Not to have them convert but just so they know the facts from someone who tries to live the gospel the best way they know how. By so doing I wouldn't surprised if there people were touched enough to want to learn more and then receive the blessings we'd be discussing with them, but that'd be up to them.
I was thankful for the opportunity, no doubt directed by the Holy Ghost.
2 comments:
You AMAZE me. Thanks for sharing. You did an excellent job of representing the beliefs of our faith.
very cool experience arica! thanks for sharing. also, congratulations on your job! so happy things fell into place for you!
Post a Comment