Friday, November 30, 2012

The Office 18th Birthday Party

I have become a Mary Kay consultant. I hit the ground running when I first started and since then have had life get the better of me. It's all good though, I know it's always there. I was advised to read this book from my director called Dressing Your Truth. It's been really interesting. I love personality tests and self help type things. I finally found I'm a "type 3" and it describes me very well. I am some one who finishes projects. I start something but I want it done in the simplest way, with no strings attached. I think I saw this part of me come to life when I decided to throw my baby brother a party for his 18th birthday.

I started thinking about it back in July (his birthday is in November). I thought "Holy cow my brother is turning into an adult this year" and I figured...he needs a party. My brother, Andrew, has never had a birthday party. Being the baby of the family he actually grew up just wanting the family around on his birthday. So I took matters into my own hands. I thought we needed a theme so that could get the creative juices flowing and helps everything fall into place.

The theme: The Office.
Andrew being younger has liked things that maybe more adult for his age. This show is one of them. He loves it! The quotes, the characters, the jokes, the story line...he loves it all. It helps that it's one of my favorites too. So I started from there. It was going to be a surprise party but I wasn't sure of the people to invite and it would have been more difficult.

I was very proud of my creations! Here are some of the things I included.
 The episode when Jim and Dwight forget Kelly's birthday and this is the sign and decor that Dwight comes up with for her make up party.
 This one is a blended joke. One from when Oscar comes back from quitting and they have a pinata at the party. Also, there is a Christmas episode with a toy called "Princess Unicorn"...the slogan goes "My horn can pierce the sky!"
 When Oscar comes back they have everything Mexican themed since he is Mexican...they make Lemonade with a tilde. 
 The Dundie's are an office event every year where the boss gives out ridiculous awards for the employees. Andrew gave one out to each person at his party with an award title attached.
 We played Office Olympic games...Dunder Ball, paper football, and how many peanut M&Ms you can fit in your mouth. The most went to Andrew's friend with 39! 
 It would be a party with out a little Guitar Hero, Just Dance, and Super Smash Brothers. 
We sang happy birthday and he blew out his candles on his ice cream cake. That's a reference to the office too...they get a ice cream cake for a girl who is lactose intolerant! And a card that said "Happy Birday" which I had them write on the cake. (They thought I was crazy)

We did have jello and I made a jello mold with a stapler in it, but it didn't turn out. I learned what I should do at another time. 

All in all it was a success! Andrew's friends had fun and he had a successful party. 

I love my little brother! Angrow is one of the most inspirational people I know. I'm proud to call him my little brother. 

Love and Happiness,
Arica

No comments: