Henry Faust Goniea.
My Nephew.
So over the last month I've learned more about the birthing process than I ever thought I'd want to know before I have my own children. Okay, let's be honest…I was freaking out a little bit.
I've always been someone who thought pregnancy was beautiful and giving birth was natural. Then Ashleigh got pregnant and it started sounding weirder and weirder. I wasn't sure I could handle it.
Ashleigh made all kinds of plans before she delivered Henry. She asked me if I'd be in the room with her. I kindly told her HECK NO! The nice image of pregnancy was fading over time and in came reality.
As it worked out, no one was waiting in the waiting room, and I didn't want to be in there by myself…so I stayed. Ashleigh had been in labor for over 24 hours and was so tired but not ready to push. I was on the side of the room just minding my own business so that I didn't have to get too close. Then the nurse said "How about your sister comes to hold your hand…" Of course I did, I wasn't going to leave Ashleigh hanging. I got closer….and you know what…it wasn't bad.
The reason it wasn't bad is because there was a bigger goal here than pushing through some pain…she was working for Henry. After he came out he was given to Ashleigh and the look on her face told me…it was all worth it. After hours and hours of her saying, "I can't do this." to the nurse….she realized why she'd worked so hard. She said, "I did this." Henry is so adorable and I'm so glad to be his aunt.
I'm sure there will still be things that freak me out a tiny bit (medical things in general aren't my strong suit), but now I have something I didn't have before: perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment