Sometimes we say we'll do things and later make ourselves liars because we just don't do them. I don't usually promise people stuff because I don't want to disappoint them or myself later on.
Last night I had to say goodbye to a friend leaving on a mission! Elder Edward McClean (aka Phlatt) will be leaving today for Ghana at 12:40pm. He's going straight to Ghana to attend the MTC there. I was priviledged to be able to sit in on him getting set apart along with some other close friends and family. It was amazing! We made sure to get our hugs in before he was ordained an Elder. :) We went out to dinner afterwards (there was like 8 of us...) to Chili's and just hung out. It was a nice evening and we laughed and joked around. Phlatt even ate with his badge on! We didn't want it to end...Chili's was closing but we didn't want to leave. Phlatt walked my sister and I out to our car (with an escort...) and gave us handshakes...it's hard to say goodbye with a handshake but I'll be okay. He's going to be an amazing missionary and I'm grateful that I was able to become friends with him such a short amount of time. :)
When I was at school and so many guys were leaving for their missions...it just made me think of how YOUNG these boys are....yet they are willing to sacrifice two years of their life so that they can help others to know the truth. I'm so thankful for them and the sisters who choose to serve too. I have many friends on missions and I am so happy that they are willing and able to stand as a witness of God....I hope I can do that in my every day life.
I just wrote my friend Spencer on his mission in the Dominican Republic....he's been out for a year tomorrow...I haven't written him as much as I probably should but I enjoy reading what he has to say and know that he's one of the best. :)
But going back to the subject of this post: I think I'll go ahead and make a promise now....to write my friends out there doing the Lord's work more often no matter the return. And since this is a rare occation that I actually promise something I'm determined to do it. So Elders McClean, Anderson, and more...expect more mail.
3 comments:
Arica! Thanks for your sweet message you posted on my wall! It's fun to know I have friends out there keeping up with my blog! I'm glad I found yours too! You're a great girl and there is so much you are going to do for this needing world! I'm proud of you and all you've accomplished. Thanks for being such a good friend to me! I miss our long chats and our LOST episodes together. I still have your address so I'll either send you an actual announcement or the digital copy! Love you!
You girl!!! I saw your post on Momma's facebook and wanted to say hi and give you our link!!! Hit me up!!!
I love writing missionaries. It's so much fun! :)
Post a Comment