Monday, October 20, 2008

A Feeling of Peace Has Comeover Me

Charity as stated in True to The Faith is "the pure love of Christ...The Savior wants us to receive His love and He also wants you to share it with others. (John 14:34-35) Strive to love as [Christ] loves, with unfailing compassion, patience, and mercy. As you continue to receive the Savior's perfect love and as you demonstrate Christlike love for others, you will find that your love increases."

As I pondered this subject last week some things came together in my mind. How could I be more charitable? Sure I could do little acts of service for my roommates which I worked on and I could go out of my way to help someone...but I felt like I needed to do more. This semester has be the busiest I've ever been in my entire life. I'm not sure how I'm doing it all...but through it all I've made some pretty awesome friends and relied on a couple of old ones as well! At the beginning of the semester my friend Alli (who I've known since freshman year) told me she got the confirmation that she should go on a mission and was working on getting her papers in. (ps. they're in and she's waiting!) I had already asked Heavenly Father multiple times if this was the path I was supposed to take...especially this summer. The feeling I kept getting was that it was my choice and that either way I would be doing good. Over the summer I decided to make a decision on the subject just to ease my worried mind. I said, "I'm not going to go on a mission...and that's my decision....for now" I knew there was time to change my mind but for then it was no until I got a different feeling.

To be honest the thought of a mission scared me! I didn't think I was capable enough. So when I got here and heard that Alli was going on a mission I started plotting out how it would work if I DID go but I was still uncertain...then I met my friend Emily...she's 26 and a senior...I asked her about her mission and what she thought....through our discussions this semester I kept feeling that I was going to go I just didn't know exactly when.

My roommate and I fasted for a totally different reason than a mission last Sunday but still in the spirit of the fast I felt closer to my Father in Heaven...I was thinking about what I had read and studied about Charity...and I felt that a mission was what I needed to do if I wanted to progress spiritually. As we sang the closing hymn in Sacrament Meeting "Called to Serve" I knew right then that if I was going to do this I needed to talk to some people and get the ball rolling. I'm ready to gain better study habits, be more organized, go to the temple, and use the knowledge I have to help others! The gospel is so amazing and I want to share that with others and let them know what I have known almost my whole life. Ever since that Sacrament Meeting I haven't felt scared about serving a mission...I feel excited and ready to get going. I met with my advisor for school and he said I should put my papers in this semester because where I'm at in school is the perfect stopping point. It couldn't be more perfect. Therefore, I met with the Bishop tonight and I'm working on my papers. I can't believe it's actually happening but I'm doing it and I'm excited. The future is uncertain...and I'm not sure how everything's going to work out but I know it will because I have faith that Heavenly Father will see me through and help me to prepare accordingly. I will keep everyone updated on everything!!! I couldn't be more at peace and happy about this.

I love this gospel and I have a testimony that it is the true gospel on the earth today. Jesus Christ is at the head of this Church with Thomas S. Monson as His mouthpiece. Heavenly Father answers prayers and won't leave us in the dark....if we are patient. He loves us! I love Him and I can't wait to serve Him in every way I am capable.

4 comments:

Amie said...

ur so awesome! love you

Becca Jones said...

Arica Page! This is the most exciting news I've heard in a while! You'll be a wonderful missionary!

Jared and Brielle Rucks said...

awesome arica!!! i love you! you'll be a GREAT missionary! :)

JD said...

That is so cool Arica - I know that God will bless you for the wonderful desires of your heart!