Tuesday, September 08, 2009

A Missionary Labor Day

How ironic is it that it is Labor Day on a Monday when missionaries have their Pday anyways! haha We still went to work that night though...even though no one was home or really in any condition to have missionaries at their door because they were enjoying a night with the family...but we did talk to some leadership which is always good.

So for our labor day we went to play Lazer Tag as a district. Our friends Chris Peterson and Josh VanSteeter came too (they live in our area...and are preparing for missions). It was much fun. The first game we were on teams and my team dominated (probably because the Elder on our team told us what to do haha.) and then we went to a "every man for himself" game...which I came in LAST! Go figure. That was all good fun, it was much needed after a rather stressful week. (More to come on that later) We went to Walmart and printed pictures and picked up a few groceries, next week is transfers so we don't want to get too much to eat and then have to leave it. We went home and I think I wrote 7-8 letters...mail this week was good and I'm really thankful for that. Then worked on journal pages, which are just little notes to missionaries you know are leaving so they have something to remember you by and also your information to keep in touch. I then got my hair trimmed. The lady said the ends weren't split they looked really good so I think I'll get it trimmed again when I have 6 months left. :)

So this week was awesome but yes stressful. We had planned for a baptism for a boy (10) named Hayden...but it didn't happen AGAIN. BUT Heavenly Father blessed us and had another boy named Jimmy (also 10) get baptized instead. His mom and dad are divorced so he has to go to his dad's on certain weekends but he didn't know when...well his mom found out it was the next two weeks he'd be there so she asked him and he said "I'll get baptized this weekend." It was pretty awesome. Actually him and his 8 year old brother got baptized! So that was the miracle of the week.

On Sunday we stopped by Hayden's to see what was going on and to tell him we'd go to church with him and his dad. They said they'd be there well the whole Sarcrament meeting went by and they didn't show. We went over later that night and they said they didn't have any clothes to go in. (they just moved into this new ward so they're in the process of unpacking still) THEN we come to find out that Brother Shaw (Hayden's dad) got a tatoo the night before. We were just so disappointed. He's been working so hard to get back to church and everything so he can baptize Hayden AND he had gotten the "okay" to do it...but we just don't know what to do. THEN we see our recent converts heading outside (we were on the way to their house) and asked where they were going "to do something bad" they were about to go to get fast food on Sunday. All of these people KNOW BETTER. We told them to go back inside and Sister Harwood made them something to eat. It's just been a hard week all around. That's the life of a missionary...and I'm learning to trust in the Lord more. He know's what He's doing AND I kind of know how He feels because we can't force anyone to do anything...but we want them to make the right choices. Agency is amazing but sometimes I wish we'd use the gift a little better. I was reading in Alma 58 today...in verses 3-10 and how PATIENT the Strippling Warriors were in waiting for supplies..they didn't know why it took so long to get them but they thanked Heavenly Father when they did. I will apply that in my life. I love this work. I'm so incredibly happy to be here and serve the Lord. Thank you for your prayers and love. 

Love, Sister Page

No comments: