I said, "Oh it's because it looks better straight with out humidity."
Later we were taking a walk at night and I said, "Wow I can take a walk in the evening and not feel hot and sticky."
Then my friends preceded to ask me why I didn't just move out west. The only thing I could think of was my family and my job. Which are good reasons but I was trying to think of environmental things I liked too.
Later that week I thought to myself, "Oh yeah..I love how green it is."
And then I thought of the rain storms. I cannot help you understand my love for a pour down rain storm. I missed them so much on my mission, at school, and when we had a drought.
This summer has been anything but a drought, we've had wet days at least twice a week. (Which means I hardly ever straighten my hair, messy bun or curly.)
Each time it rains my younger sister Arin and I plan to go out and run in it. It's been a tradition of our families for a while. We love to get soaked. This summer each time Arin and I see it's raining we're usually driving somewhere or not together. Just yesterday is was pouring...sheets and sheets of rain at my work. I only ten miles away. I called Arin on my way home from work and I said, "On my way home, get ready it's pouring outside." We were both so excited. I got into my neighborhood and saw that it was bone dry. I got a little pouty. I came inside and saw Arin.
She looked at me with sad eyes and I asked, "What's wrong?"
Arin said, "It's NOT raining."
I consoled my baby sister and we hoped that we'd have a good rain soon to try again.
A little more than 24 hours later we were driving home from the store and Arin said, "It's raining....wait don't say anything."
So we acted like we didn't care. We got out of the car and it was a light rain but not enough to really enjoy. We tried to make the most of it and decided to do a "rain dance". Yet another tradition that us children started doing...I believe they really work. As kids we did them during a really bad drought and were amazed when it started raining a couple days or hours later.
After our rain dance, and we danced all the way to the door for good measure, we came inside for a half an hour. There we were in the den shooting the breeze with the fam and we hear the rain a little louder.
Arin said, "I think it's time."
We opened the door to find a shower of great proportion. It was fantastic!
As the door flew open, we ran outside and screamed excitedly. We'd done it. Our rain dance had worked! Soaking it in, dancing, and spinning in the moment we'd waited for all summer. We stayed out maybe 2 minutes and were soaked and freezing...and loving every minute. It was perfect. Okay so MAYBE I rolled my ankle during the moment and it hurt but I sucked it up and relished in our moment.
(Side note: this always reminds me of Hercules when Meg says "Do you have trouble with things like these? Weak ankles I mean?" Which I DO...I just rolled my ankle in Idaho last week.)
We came back in and my brother Andrew put some towels by the door for us. ;)
This is the best part.
We get dried off and change into our sweats.
Get all comfy and get a hot mug of herbal tea.
I had to talk about my cOcOmOtIOn. If you don't have one I suggest it! It's amazing for hot chocolate (it's original use) but you can heat up water fast and use it to make the herbal tea. (Of which most every one had a different flavor) Thanks be to Arin who got one for me for my birthday...knowing I've wanted one for years.
The tea was a perfect ending to a perfect moment. I love traditions and spontaneity. Even if life isn't like the movies where everything works out "perfect", I still loved every minute. I loved sharing the moment with Arin. I loved seeing our rain dance work. I loved hanging in the den with my family drinking herbal tea and listening to James Taylor. It was a brief pause from present cares.
Life is full of those moments...don't wait for the storms to pass...those could turn into some of the best experiences.
Warm, Comfy, and Happy,
Arica



No comments:
Post a Comment