Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Brussels Sprouts...how our testimony can help others!

I want to testify that I like Brussels Sprouts!!! Let me explain. On Sunday we had dinner planned with our High Councilman who is over the Ward Mission Leaders but he forgot that he had his daughter's seminary graduation so we set us up with his other daughter who is married with a baby. They were nice enough to feed us short notice. We got into their apartment which was very modest home and you could just feel the spirit. It was a very peaceful feeling...I liked it. We sat down to eat and they had a couple of dishes that were really good. They then said..."oh we also have brussles sprouts but not many people like them." Then they went onto tell me how much they like them and how they fix them and such. I realized that while I've heard of brussels sprouts I had never really tried them. So I went for it. Let me tell you they are actually really good. Had I only merely listened to others view of them I would have not tasted the joy and the nutrients that comes from those green little veggies. We then had a whole conversation about brussels sprouts (and who knows if I'm spelling this right) and how most people hear they're not good so they never associate with them. I got to thinking about this in a spiritual sense. There are people who have heard about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints...from certain sources that aren't necessarily true and because of that have been to afraid to try it because of what they've heard. So they go their whole life not knowing that they could benefit from the nutrients that the gospel can bring to them. I heard positive things about brussles sprouts by TWO wittnesses...and so I tried it. If we can only help people by giving them a sure witness that the gospel will help them and bring joy to their life...then they will be willing to TRY the Gospel. Once they get a taste of something true about the gospel they will want more. And to think I would have never tried them on my own. Some people do...some people try brussles sprouts on their own just to see what they're like but not everyone is so brave. Brother's and sisters may we give people the opportunity to know the nutrients of spiritual brussels sprouts. The work needs your help...and I know you can too testify not of a vegetable but of something that you have felt bring you spiritual nutrients...it's that simple. I hope this made sense...I'm thankful to have the Gospel in my life and that I have the opportunity to testify of it multiple times a day.

This week has been pretty crazy...I've been on splits a lot because Sis. Grunauer went up to Provo for more leadership meetings...yeah I've got connections though I'm not connected. haha But she brought me back some chocolate and a new white handbook...sad to say I had lost mine right after the MTC...I have NO idea where it could have gone...believe me I searched. Now I have one so I guess my days of rule breaking will end...JUST KIDDING...I love being obedient. :)

On Sunday we taught Eva and Oliver...I don't think I've told you about them. Eva is from Switzerland (the german part) and Oliver...(you'll never guess.) from AUSTRIA! We met them a couple weeks ago and every time I'm at their house I can feel the spirit testify that they're understanding and excited to learn more. When they don't understand a word in english they just turn to Sis. Grunauer and she'll tell them. Even when Oliver (who doesn't know much english) is speaking in german...I can just feel his testimony and the light that comes from his eyes..it's amazing. They are both in their 50's and were raised Catholic but long ago stop practicing...they told us it will take time to learn every thing and start praying outside of church and such...but I have a feeling they will get baptized sooner or later. What really brought them to wanting to know more is because they were FELLOWSHIPPED...and wondered why the people are so nice. It's awesome. There was a point in the lesson when we asked them to pray for themselves...and they said it was hard to remember but then Oliver said "for sure, I sink it would be good to pray togeza" (accent included) and Eva looked at him and they held hands and then it was like a wave of the spirit came and they couldn't help but give each other a little kiss...and then they got emotional. The gospel brings people closer together...that's the most exciting part. I kind of was taken back...I was thinking "woah what just happened." but then looking back I could recognize how strong the spirit was in that moment. Everything is amazing...and I love it. Keep up the good work everyone. I love you!
Love, Sister Page

No comments: