Sunday, January 08, 2012

Firsts and Learning Curves

Firsts and learning curves of 2011

Some of the things that are listed here are vague or general for the reason that they are either personal or just things I don't want everyone to know. If there are things that you would like clarification on I would be glad to share and explain in a personal message.

Leadership
I was called to be the Relief Society President for the winter semester of college. It was a learning experience and I kind of wish I had a do over. In hindsight I could have done things differently and been more involved in my sisters lives. But I think that's why there are firsts to everything so that we can take what we learned through that experience and build upon it. I am now the secretary for the Relief Society Presidency, so I am magnifying that calling with the ideas that I wish I'd implemented when I was the president. My presidency now is amazing and we really work hard together to work for what is in the best interest of the sisters. 

Friends Can Turn into Family

Relationship
While in the same semester I met a nice young man and we started dating. This being my first serious relationship I learned SO much about myself. I look back and wonder how I even focused on school while I was so wrapped up in what was going on with me and Dane. He was a great guy. We had a lot of fun and laughter together. It was a great first to have and he was a great person to be my first boy friend. In the end we had to go our separate ways but I don't regret a dating him. 

My Worst Fear

My Career
It was this year that took a lot of classes that helped me realize what I really want to do with my life. My team and I helped a little boy with cerebral palsy to communicate and have more control over his life. He was only 5 but he didn't have any options as to what he wore, watched, or liked. After coming we discovered that he could answer yes and no questions and make choices. His parents took into account our counsel to let him choose more often. I remember telling my partners in the car "THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO!" and I meant it. I wanted to go to children's home and help them meet goals, allowing their parents to help their children more. In another class a partner and I went to a child's house who had PDD-NOS. We went into his home once a week and did intervention with him. We set goals and worked toward them. It felt so good to write that report and see his progress. I just realized how I want to help children with special needs. 

Alone Time

How to Job Hunt
In years past I got a job because my mom worked there and they knew I'd be dependable. Then when I got to school after my mission I needed to get a job. I asked around and my very good professor put in a good word for me with another professor. I got the job just on recommendation. Now I am looking for a full time job from people who don't have know someone to recommend me. It's been harder than I thought. I really learned the ins and outs of searching. And you CAN'T just rely on the internet as a source. I found that going to places in person makes a difference. I also found resources at the library, by accident, but it was amazing and I've found a lot more leads than anywhere else. 

And that my friends is the highlights of what I learned in 2011. It was an amazing year as I graduated, moved to Utah, moved to North Carolina and now have started being an adult. There is light at the end of the tunnel for everything you start, that's for sure, and it goes faster than you might think. 

Onto 2012...and all the things I want to accomplish this year...let's make it happen!



No comments: