Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The UPM (Utah Provo Mission)

HEY! I feel so excited to be out in the mission field. I know I haven't been writing or keep in touch for a while...I wrote at letter at the mission presidents house but I'm not sure when that got sent. I am serving in St. George at the visitor's center and the other half of my time is spent in a town about 30 minutes away called Hurricane (you say it Hurrikin) and I'm loving every minute. My trainer is Sister Kohler and she's amazing. Mom..you would LOVE what she does with her journals! I'm totally copying her. We have gotten so close over this last week and sometimes have a hard time getting to sleep because we want to talk so much. Her family is just like mine...she's the 2nd of four kids which happen to be 3 girls and a boy! CRAZY...and we're all around the same age. We also have a lot of the same interests but enough differences to make it interesting. I have taught numerous lessons and met sooo many people in the last week even I (who am usually good with names) can't remember everyone's names. I like getting introduced to missionaries because they have a name tag! haha OH yeah..and my prep days are on Wednesday still...because we have so many sisters at the VC we can't have everyone have pday on Monday. It's so warm here I love it...dry...but warm. It's not green though and I miss that about NC..I guess I'll get used to it in time. There are so many things I want to tell you but can't think of them. We taught a boy named Robbie (11) and he's getting baptized on March 21st and is so ready!!! We also taught a 14 year old girl named Ashley and she is getting baptized next week so we had to put things in full gear. Because my companion wasn't in the area before I came we have to learn the ropes together they call that White Washing...and I think it's a blessing because then we get to know all of these people at the same time. We have been working with the Elders from that area to help the transition, they are both from Brazil...cool huh? There names are Elders Diz Diz and Nascimento. They rock! I'm thankful for all of the work they did. What happened was they got SOOO busy in Hurricane and LaVerkin they had to go on splits every night. So they split the area instead and gave us Hurricane (which was the busier of the two) and now they are trying to build up LaVerkin...needless to say...we are totally busy! I was able to come down here with all of my MTC roomies (except my companion who went to California) and we all live in a row of apartments so it's nice that we're that close and can share experiences. We have all grown in many ways and really can see that in each other. BTW the mission is SO much more amazing than the MTC can really prepare you for...haha...but I did love the MTC and appreciated my time there...I just know that I'm learning so much more out here. OH GUESS WHAT!!! We went to church for transfers to meet our trainers and talk to President Brown...well while I was waiting in the hall way for President Brown guess who walked by me??? D. Todd Christofferson!!! That's an APOSTLE! I was like "hi..." but he smiled and just walked by (he was going to a funeral I think) and I was like "I'm going to LIKE this mission!" I think those opportunities will be more frequent here...haha...I'll let you know if anything else awesome happends like that. I am sending my tape recorder today...it covers the last week so you'll be happy to hear it...I hope it's not boring. Also send any packages or mail to the mission office...they will forward it and it's easier than updating my address every transfer. : ) Here are some things I need (and I said this on the tape too but this will get to you faster): My tiny hymn book (the brown one...I think it's in Andrew's room) jeans...yes they're allowed on pdays...for activities and such...SEND THEM! CD's...who was I fooling not taking any cd's...Pres. Brown says follow the white handbook...therefore anything uplifting...I would like EFY, Kenneth Cope, Pray for Rain, Janice Kapp Perry I also need my dressy shoes they're in Ash and Arin's room on the hangy thing. We wear them for zone conference where we don't need to walk very often and we can wear them in the VC. NYLONS! Anytime you send a package get me some of these..they rip all the time...I still wear the ripped ones when you can't see the rip haha ..but yeah send those. : ) Some of my old journals would be nice...I think it would be good to look back on experiences I've had before my mission to be able to connect with others about things that are going on in there life..I don't need all of them just a couple. : ) So I have to go shopping today...I have skirts that are too short for the mission. I have enough that I'm okay for now..but two of the ones from CATO are too short for mission standards...I'll send them back some time and wear them after the mission because they ARE modest just not for my mission. :P It's all good...I don't mind having to shop..hehe. 

Well this is long! But I LOVE YOU! Keep up the awesome work...I'm glad to hear that BYD went so well...missionary work cannot be done with out the members...why I didn't realize that sooner is beyond me. You will be a blessing in their lives...thank you!!!

Love, Sister Page

No comments: