Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Week 3 of the Transfer Awards

Week 3 of the Transfer Awards
Brought to you by: Sister Page (contributing to each award is Sister Stafford)

Progressing Investigator of the Week: We are teaching a man named Bruce. He's homeless. It's a sad situation...but we meet at the library and have lessons. He's really smart! He doesn't just meet us at the library he comes here all the time to study...and he takes notes. He doesn't smell too good and he's rough looking but I know he will one day do great things. He reads what we tell him and has a desire to go to church! He told us he's ready to be a contributing member of society...I wonder how many more people want to do that. I hope to help him become more than just a contributing member of society but a contributing member to the Lord's kingdom! :) It's probably going to be a process and take time but I believe he'll progress quite nicely. Although we asked him if he had a desire to quit smoking and he said no...he thinks it's good for him. ;) We'll help him with that. hahah Testimony builder of the week: We had a man that was sitting outside the library so we went to go talk to him. (Talk to EVERYONE is was Preach My Gospel says) We asked what he was reading...and then asked if he was a member of the church. Anyways he said no...but late found out that he WAS a member and since then has left the church. Why? LACK OF FAITH! He basically wanted everything to be proven to him. He claimed that listening to the promptings of the Spirit was all about psychology. He said you make yourself feel that way. Ooooh man. I tried to testify but he kept interrupting me...so finally I had to say "goodbye Doug" and walk away. His heart was so hard. He kind of shook me (not my testimony but what he said made me think)...so I've been trying to be super sensitive to the Spirit the rest of the week. I gave a talk in church on Sunday and now that I'm free to testify...I want everyone to know that I have felt the power of the Holy Ghost. IT IS REAL. I cannot deny the many many witnesses I have that this church, the Book of Mormon, the Prophet Joseph Smith and continuing revelation is TRUE! And I know by the power of the Holy Ghost. I will always stand as the witness for others. I will NOT back down! I have made covenants at baptism and in the Holy Temple and my testimony is rooted in those promises. Nobody can tell me that I haven't felt this power in my life because I have. Like my dad says, "truth is truth whether you choose to deny it or reject it...it's still there standing as truth."

Visitor Center Experience: It was 8:40 last night, 20 mins until closing time at the VC. We were tired...and ready to go. Three boys walk in. We stand up and greet them as directed. One was a member of the church and the other two were not. The others were categorized (by themselves) as atheist and a skeptic. The Skeptic had so many questions. "Why do we need a body?" "Why does God need a body isn't that limiting?" "Where are the artifacts from the Nephites?" "Why are we here on earth? Why wouldn't God just give us all the information we need instead of making us with out knowledge?" It was crazy. We were trying to help him understand. The Atheist at his side not speaking. The Mormon friend wondering how to help. I tried to testify of Faith..but then the Skeptic had questions about that. So I turn to see Sis. Shill (a sister who gets off her mission in Jan...and she's awesome) "What's your take on their questions?" She puts them in a movie about the Book of Mormon and we all discuss how it can answer our questions. And the Skeptic goes "well I don't think...." or "I don't believe...." and Sister Shill says something that I'll never forget. " "Do not discount the things of God just because YOU don't understand them...." BAM! He committed to meeting with the sisters in his area...and praying that night...even if he's not sure there's a God out there. He promised he'd pray every day this week. I believe he'll do it. It was a powerful lesson for me. When someone has too many questions...get them to a place that they can be still and feel the Spirit. Then testify and commit them to DOING something they haven't tried yet. I may not understand everything in the gospel or the nature of God...but I know He loves me and is concerned for my well being. I will be safe not to "discount the things of God, just because [I] don't understand them."

Love, Sister Page

No comments: